TRM VS EXCEL—SEPTEMBER 14, 2012
The purpose of the Legacy game is twofold. First to celebrate the great tradition of Miller football by inviting as many former players back as possible for a reunion of all Tiger teams. Second as a fund raiser to help support the entire Miller athletic department. It is our desire that the Legacy Game be a community event.
The Legacy Jersey Project
1) First week of May- Players will fill out declaration form announcing which former T.R. Miller football player they will practice and play for during the game week. Should a player not have someone to play for, Coach Riggs will have a list of former Tigers to help the player.
2) Second week of May-players will be given pledge cards. These cards will explain the Legacy Jersey project and ask supporters to be “Jersey Backers”. Players will seek out their family, friends and supporters of Miller football to become Jersey Backers. The Backers are asked to give $25, $50 or more to back that jersey. Players should also seek out family and friends of the person that they are playing for during Legacy week. Players will write the name of the jersey backer and the pledge on the card and collect the money. The pledge period will last two weeks. The goal of each jersey will be to collect $200 in pledges. Coach Riggs and the T.R. Miller QB Club will publicize the project through newspaper, radio, internet and as many ways possible. Note: If a jersey backer wishes to pledge money in honor or memory of another former player, the current player can collect the money and the total will be added to his jersey.
3) End of May- Legacy jerseys will be ordered. The name of each player being honored will be on the back of each jersey. The jerseys will be black with white numerals and lettering. The TRM QB Club will seek a Legacy Game Sponsor (corporate or individual) who will cover the cost of the jerseys. After the game, each player will present the jersey to the former player or family that he honored.
4) Summer 2012- A committee of parents and QB Club members will seek out former Miller football players and supporters to make pledges to be jersey backers. This group will contact as many former Miller players and supporters as possible through all means of communication. These supporters will be encouraged to make pledges in honor of former players or certain Miller football jersey numbers. (Ex: Coach Riggs will make $50 pledges to numbers 10 and 17 (Wil and Mikel) and #71 (in memory of Mike and Scott Ryland). The goal of this committee will be to collect enough pledges to fill out the $200 goal for each jersey. Special cards will be produced to present to potential donors. A person can sign up and pledge by turning in that card with their pledge money. The committee should meet to set a target list of 1) potential backers and 2) individual supporters who might be willing to help seek pledges and distribute pledge cards. Pledges can be accepted up to the day of the game.
5) A listing will be produced for the game of each player jersey, who the player is honoring and everyone that backed that jersey.